Saturday, November 22, 2014

Three Related Post Cards (1 of 3)

Preface: I am still cataloging the post cards that came in the mail while I was blogging about my Pikes Peak post cards. I looked at this card and thought that, for some reason, I should look at the next one, too. I realized immediately that the pictures seemed to be related. When I turned them over I saw that they were both from the Barkalow Brothers Publishing Company. (It is nice to know I am learning something as I blog about these post cards.) But, I also noticed that the writing on the back looked very similar. Sure enough, both post cards are being sent to Miss Reba Van. I let my curiosity get the best of me and I picked up the third card on the stack. It, too, was written on the same journey, by the same author, to the same person. These next three blogs will show you the three cards. This is the first of the series. It was mailed while they were traveling through Wyoming.
This post card shows the "San Francisco Overland Limited" leaving Cheyenne, Wyoming; it doesn't specify in which direction the train is headed. Overland is the title given to the first wagon train trails that headed west. When the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific Railroads built the first transcontinental railroad, it only seemed natural that the name would also refer to the train tracks. There have been several variations on the name: Overland Limited, San Francisco Overland Limited, the Overland Flyer, the Overland Route being the most common. If it is leaving Wyoming with only one locomotive at the head, it must be headed to the flat plains of Nebraska.

Looking at the back of the card, I notice that it is from the Divided Back Era and the post mark confirms this. It was mailed on January 6, 1911. This is interesting because it was the first card written to Reba. The name of the location at the top left says Wyoming. On the next card it will say Nevada and the third card says they are in Sacramento, California. These post cards are also related to each other because they were all published by the Barkalow Brothers Publishing Co. I will write a bit about the company in the final of these three blog posts. The number of the card, found at the bottom middle of this back, is A-9092. You can wait to see what the other two cards are numbered. I will keep you hanging in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you know anything about the history of the cards, the trains or the locations, please add them.