Friday, August 30, 2013

From the Desert to Paradise


Here is another post card promoting the joyous bliss of living in southern California! The title is: "IN CALIFORNIA = 'THE LAND OF SUNSHINE, FRUITS AND FLOWERS". I have to say that in the 17 years that I lived in southern California, I never saw any place like this. Of course, my time in southern California started in 1959; this section of the state might have been developed into housing by the time I got there.

But, I have to admit that I have seen the snow on the mountains, the orange trees with the train track, the pepper trees and the flowers all in southern California. I just never saw them all at the same time. It kind of make me want to go back there to see just where this picture was taken.



When we turn the card over we see that it was published by the Western Publishing & Novelty Co. of Los Angeles. I truly believe that they were some of the most prolific promoters of California (especially southern California) EVER!

I can't tell who printed the card for them... maybe by this time they printed their own. I would place the card in the White Border Era, which lasted from 1915 to 1930 more or less. There is a number in the top middle of the back of the card. I presume it is the order number or the run number. I haven't been able to find many details about the Western Publishing & Novelty Company, but if I did I think that this number A-101318 would give us an excellent idea about the date this card was printed and published.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you know anything about the history of the cards, the trains or the locations, please add them.